Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

FBI statistics show Sanibel as fourth safest city in Florida

January 28, 2014
Special to the Reporter (sancapnews@breezenewspapers.com) , Island Reporter, Captiva Current, Sanibel-Captiva Islander

The City of Sanibel has been designated the fourth safest city in Florida. To determine the 10 safest places in Florida, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) 2012 crime statistics were evaluated. The 202 cities in Florida with populations over 5,000 were each evaluated in the study. The study evaluated crimes in each community in three categories: Property crimes (theft, burglary, motor thefts); violent crimes (rape, murder, theft); and chance a resident will be a victim of crime.

The above criteria were weighted with a greater emphasis on violent crime, followed by property crime and then the likelihood a resident would be a crime victim. Thus, violent crimes account for 50 percent of the ranking, property crimes account for 30 percent of the ranking and a resident's likelihood of being a crime victim accounts for 20 percent of the ranking.

To place the study in perspective, 421,192 crimes were committed in 2012, in the 202 cities analyzed. In 2012, 114 of these crimes occurred within the Sanibel city limits and none were violent crimes.

Article Photos

PHOTO BY JIM LINETTE.

"By design, the safety of citizens and visitors is our community's highest priority. While this recognition is appreciated, we are recommitted to remaining a safe town in which to live, work, and recreate," said Sanibel Mayor Kevin Ruane, after seeing the report.

"We are a safe community because our citizen's care and we work together in partnership with our residents and businesses. We encourage our community to report suspicious activity and vehicles, and they do. Crime prevention is the major focus of our Department," said Sanibel Chief of Police Bill Tomlinson.

"Investments by the Sanibel City Council into best available technology, training and equipment support our safety initiatives. Furthermore, our Police Officers regularly meet with homeowner's associations and business owners to be certain that everyone understands that suspicious behaviors should be reported, and reported promptly to the Police Department," stated Sanibel City Manager Judith Zimomra.

In 2013, the Sanibel Police Department responded to 24,790 calls for service. Any Sanibel organization that would like to schedule a presentation by the Sanibel Police Department should contact Chief Tomlinson at 472-3111.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web